Saturday, June 13, 2009

UP UP AND AWAY . . .




Last night we went out to celebrate surviving the semester from heck . . . Since M#2 also just survived a semester from heck, we decided to celebrate together . . . so the four of us went out for the evening, which was really fun. It is incredibly wonderful to be able to just enjoy your children as PEOPLE even when they don't 'need' you anymore . . .

At #2's request the movie we saw was "UP" . . . I had never really heard anything much about it . . . but the little I had seen/heard left me with absolutely NO desire to see the movie . . . I confess that I went to be a good sport, not because I cared about the movie at all . . . And I have to admit that I didn't just endure it . . . I LIKED it . . . no, actually, I LOVED it . . .

I REALLY loved it . . . I don't know that a child would like it . . . I mean it IS animated and all . . . but the nuances of the story were really pretty adult. Not naked, sweaty bodies kind of adult . . . just very subtle and insightful and profound kind of adult. It deals with old dreams . . . the meaning of life . . . being open to new adventures when you think you are just DONE . . . and learning to care about more than just yourself . . . It also deals with the loss of face . . . and how focusing on that can twist someone in ways that lead down dark paths . . .

My M didn't like it much . . . but the rest of us did, and *I* absolutely loved it . . . I didn't expect an animated movie to make me THINK . . . but this one did . . . and I suspect I will be thinking about it for awhile . . . I love movies that . . . linger . . . like that . . .

Then we went out to eat and STUFFED ourselves . . . (and it was fun . . . M #1 joined us since we picked a place that was on his 'beat') Everything was SOOOO good . . . but man, I think ALL of us just HURT afterwards . . . and we STILL brought home tons of leftovers . . . which D #2 got to enjoy when he got home from work . . .

It was a fun evening . . . delightful company . . . a good, thought-provoking movie . . . delicious food . . .

All in all, pretty much the PERFECT way to celebrate the end of a GRUELING semester . . . YAY!!! =o)

5 comments:

  1. Sue David and I took the kids last weekend to see that movie too.I liked it, but didn't think it was great for the kids. Just like you said, its triggered more for adults.

    My kids got a little bored. David didn't care for it either. I think we keep hoping for another Monsters, or Toy Story. Those are GOOD movies.

    None the less, we had a good time as a family and I liked the movie a lot!

    So where did you guys eat dinner at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jojo's (or something like that) off Limonite . . . It has pizzas and calzones and italian foods . . . Their calzones are HUMONGOUS . . . and sooooOOOOOooooo yummy!!! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I want to see this! Aunt T said it was really good - I think they took their kiddo to see it with them and he loved it too (it was the first movie they'd taken him to, maybe, too)... I saw ONE preview that looked hilarious for it... and the rest of the commercials I saw (okay, I saw maybe one before the hilarious one)... just didn't do much for me.

    Maybe we'll catch it when it hits the dollar theater? They have 50 cent tuesdays... of course we're still waiting for 'Monsters VS Aliens' to hit there too... ;o)

    Anyways - glad you were able to go out and really celebrate being 'done' with the semester! That sounds like it was a fun night and the PERFECT way to start your 'summer'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We took Alex to watch it, and it was his first movie at the movies. He did really good for it too. He liked the movie. David and I both liked it. We took Jenniffer with us and she liked it too.

    Sam I think Ash might have a problem with Monsters vs. Aliens. It has "Scary" parts haha (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol, Tania... is there anything that girl DOESN'T have some sort of a problem with?!

    She's getting braver! Ummm... maybe...

    ReplyDelete