Wednesday, October 20, 2010

OK . . . NOW WHERE THE HECK IS THAT PANIC BUTTON . . .

This is silly . . . I KNOW this is silly . . . Ridiculous, even . . .

But I am almost SICK with panic over the NaNoWriMo thing . . . I mean how STUPID . . .

FIRST of all, it is VOLUNTARY . . . *I* chose to sign up and participate, nobody made me . . .

SECOND, there is NO PENALTY attached to wimping out and deciding not to do it . . . OR to trying and not making the full 50,000 words . . .

THIRD, I LOVE to write . . .

So I KNOW this panic is not only completely and thoroughly unproductive, it is also incredibly . . . well . . . SILLY . . .

I keep waking up at night in a cold sweat, wondering if writer's block will descend (and stay for an entire month) . . .

I also wake up at night (at what FEELS like twenty minute intervals) thinking of story lines I could write about (so far, they have all been incredibly bad . . . but maybe TONIGHT I will hit the jack pot . . . it COULD happen . . . hypothetically, at least) . . .



And even with all this nonsense and feeling sick to my stomach and panicky feelings of 'what the HECK was I thinking??!?!?!???' I still feel excited and energized in a way I haven't felt for a long time . . .

I AM going to do this . . .


I WANT to do this . . .





I AM -- at heart, even if I never get published beyond the few poems and short stories I have had published -- a WRITER . . .

4 comments:

  1. You can do it! You can do it!

    :) It's my turn to be your little cheerleader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Tiff . . . thanks for making me laugh (those pom poms really suit you!) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the whole point of the NaNoWriMo - to get yourself over that panic and give yourself permission to just write, write, write, without worrying about where the story goes, if the characters are fully fleshed out, or if it even makes SENSE.

    We writers get far too caught up in editing as we go and wondering if something is good enough and forget or don't realize that no one has ever, ever, EVER written a publishable first draft. A writer needs some modicum of talent, of course, but success comes from dedication and determination, not ability alone.

    You don't paint and entire painting on the first brush stroke. You have to work at it before it looks any good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL @ 'we writers' . . . That alone had me beaming from ear to ear . . . THANKS for including me in that, Sara!!! =o)

    ReplyDelete