Thursday, October 14, 2010

I WRITE, THEREFORE I AM . . .


YAY . . . I finally DID IT!!!!!!

Well . . . to be honest, I haven't DONE anything yet . . . except that I DID sign up for NaNoWriMo . . . which means that this November I will spend the entire month feverishly writing a very bad novel . . . Oh not bad as in NAUGHTY . . . bad as in poorly written and unedited . . .

I have always been intrigued by the premise of NaNoWriMo . . . The organization that encourages and even aids people -- anybody who is at all interested -- in writing 50,000 words in a month. At least I think that is the word count . . . The contest focuses on OUTPUT . . . that is, QUANTITY over QUALITY . . .

You just write and write and WRITE . . . and leave the editing for after the contest is over on November 30th.

It is primarily designed to get you past your internal editor who wants to wait til EVERY single word is absolutely, exquisitely PERFECT before being committed to paper . . . Instead, this contest rewards sheer VOLUME of writing . . . I think it said the equivalent of 5 1/2 typewritten pages per DAY -- EVERY day -- for the entire month . . . but I could be mistaken on that because I have only been to the website once . . . and in my excitement to sign up, I didn't pay much attention to what was required . . .

LOL . . .

OK . . . that bodes ill . . .

But still . . . I am EXCITED about this . . . I LOVE to write . . . absolutely love it . . . and this will MAKE me write, without allowing me to get side tracked into editing and reworking and revamping . . . IMPORTANT things that NEED to be done (at some point) but which are also POWERFUL distractions . . .

I have heard about this for YEARS, but was always too busy with life or school or something to feel like I could actually devote enough time to this to DO it . . . but THIS year, the timing seems perfect . . .

I have really been at loose ends lately . . . trying to figure out some new goals that would motivate me . . . give me a reason to get up in the morning . . . This is the first thing that I have thought of that might work . . .

Oh, I am not complaining . . . I have a good life . . . a VERY good life . . . I love my husband, my children and grandchildren . . . Life IS good . . . but even so, I have felt a nagging restlessness . . . a sense that I needed something to give me a reason to jump out of bed in the mornings, eager to face each new day . . . It isn't like I DREAD that now . . . because I certainly do NOT . . .

I just need something . . . a goal . . . a hobby . . . a passion . . .

And I think just maybe THIS is a start . . .

4 comments:

  1. Man - I have always wanted to do that, but usually when I see people talking about it/planning for it it is during the school year - and that is hard to balance on top of homework. Sad day. Maybe I will attempt to keep up, but I don't know if I will be able to this year. I have two papers to write and a big 'creativity project' (that practically lacks all creativity) that I have to do.

    Man - so wish I could do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Tiff . . . I attended a writing workshop given at a local bookstore for a class I was taking, maybe seven or eight years ago, which was the first I really heard about NaNoWriMo . . . I was FASCINATED and intrigued . . . but my life -- especially when I was in school and taking classes (there are SO many papers to write and assignments/projects to focus on) I just never felt like I could really give it an honest effort . . . til now . . . THIS year, life is still busy and hectic and I am pulled a hundred directions . . . but even so, THIS year it feels just RIGHT somehow . . .

    It is okay if you don't get to it this year . . . Your time will come, I KNOW it will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, I have never heard of this - but I like the idea. You need to post a website or something so the REST of us can look at it... but also, go you! That's awesome... and good luck!

    also - I want to read this 'very bad' (tee hee, not naughty) novel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL . . . ok, Sam . . . no problem . . . You can always read what I write . . . You give really helpful feedback! But I haven't written anything yet . . . It doesn't start until November first . . .

    And I did post the website on the family website, but here it is again, just in case someone wants it who doesn't have access to that . . .

    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

    Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete