Thursday, November 12, 2009

MOVING ON . . .


Along with feeling (understandably) stressed and frustrated and frantic with school . . . I have realized that I am also feeling . . . kind of restless . . . and I am not sure that I understand exactly why . . .


I strongly suspect it has a great deal to do with school ALMOST being done with . . . My classes have sort of taken over and consumed my life for the past few years, and now that that is SLOWLY inching towards an end . . . I am not sure exactly what it is I will do with myself . . .


You know, I never did quite decide what I wanted to be when I grew up . . .


I am really torn, too. For my degree(s) to have value, I really need to move on . . . and I probably will. Still, I am VERY weary of planning my life around semesters and school projects. Sometimes I cannot even remember (or imagine) what it would be like to just LIVE my life . . . not be frantically scrambling to get everything done that needs to be done . . .


I think it would be nice (though not very practical at this point in time) to do some kind of retreat that allowed me to just step outside being a wife and mom and gramma AND student . . . and just take some time to decide what it is that I want to accomplish with the rest of my life . . .


Oh I do not for a moment regret spending all those years raising/nurturing/launching my children . . . That absolutely was the right choice for me . . . I learned a great deal about myself during those patience-wearing, emotionally-demanding, ingenuity-stretching years . . . and it gave me the opportunity to KNOW my children in a way that wouldn't have been possible on a casual or part time basis . . . I will always cherish the memory of that time . . .


And it isn't like I have stopped being a mom . . . That is an important part of who and what I am . . . and even if I were to go on and be CEO of some fancy schmancy company . . . or write a best selling novel . . . or whatever, I have no doubt that being my children's mom will ALWAYS be my crowning achievement . . . Other things might PAY better, but NOTHING will be more satisfying OR more important, in my eyes . . . but my kids need me in different ways now, changes which are healthy and natural and good.


I just need to come up with a plan of what I want to do NOW . . .


And I have never dealt that well with transitions . . . This is HARD . . .


But then, transitions like these . . . learning to roll with the punches, and deal with the ebb and flow of life IS what life is all about . . .


But knowing that still doesn't make it any easier . . .

1 comment:

  1. I bet it is strange to be on the "other side" of life. I feel like I have spent so much of my younger years looking forward to having babies and children and it does seem sort of weird to imagine what life will be like when they all grow up and leave home. It seems like an exciting, yet completely different, phase of life. Good luck with your decisions and transition!

    ReplyDelete