Monday, February 6, 2012

MISSING IN ACTION . . .



Wow . . . I cannot believe that Mother's day(ish) was the last time I posted here . . . I don't even think I have signed in or read anything anywhere since then . . . I guess LIFE happened . . . and -- literally -- almost death . . .


I am still trying process that whole experience. I almost died. I came REALLY really close . . . Maybe I should have died, I don't know . . .


I have had some close calls before in my life . . . lots of trips to emergency rooms for stitches . . . once when I was a teenager I jumped into a swimming pool onto a floating raft, and to my surprise, it flipped out from underneath me and I FELT my head brush the side of the pool, narrowly missing having my brains splattered all over the deck . . . Nobody else around me knew what had almost happened, but *I* did . . . I knew that I had come really close to at best, a very very serious head injury, and at worst, death.


Another time my brakes went out on the freeway when I had a car full of kids. I have NO idea how I managed to maneuver over to the side of the freeway safely, let alone get clear home . . . Again, everybody else knew it was DANGEROUS, but I am not sure anyone else knew that our lives had been spared, but *I* did . . .


Then last summer happened . . .


In the midst of an exciting, thrilling, joyful family gathering to celebrate new love and the start of a new family unit, I was once again tapped on the shoulder . . . or more accurately, I was mugged in the alley with a baseball bat by the grim reaper . . . and when I woke up after about thirty hours during which I have NO idea what happened, except what I have since been told . . . and as I gradually became aware of what was going on, I realized that it had happened yet again.


I don't know why that thought is SO difficult to wrap my head around, even now, seven months later. I almost died. I came really, REALLY close to dying . . . for reals . . .


I have always sort of thought that when it was 'my time' that I would have at least a moment, if not longer to sort of realize I was headed 'out' and to at least briefly look back over my life and see if I was going to be leaving behind any unfinished business . . . any loose strings that needed to be tied off . . . and some sort of split second awareness that 'okay . . . this is IT' . . .


Last summer there was NONE of that . . . and perhaps THAT is the most disconcerting part of it all . . .


But then again . . . I did survive . . . I did wake up . . . I AM still 'here' . . .


But even so . . . I still wonder about that . . .



And more often than I care to note, in the midst of playing with a grandchild . . . or cuddling and reading with one . . . or caught up in the absolute wonder and enjoyment of watching each one blossom and become who they are ultimately to be, I find myself catching my breath and the thought pops, unbidden, into my head "I would have missed this moment" . . . It happens with my precious grandchildren . . . with my beloved children . . . their spouses . . . friends . . . with my husband . . .


I guess what that all adds up to is that while I may still be coming to terms with the experience of last summer . . . I AM -- with all my heart -- VERY grateful to 'still BE here' . . .



VERY, very humbled and grateful . . .

3 comments:

  1. Such a scary time and so glad you are still here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very glad you are still here as well. That was such a scary time! Glad to see you're blogging again as well. (((HUGS!!!))) Love you Auntie Sue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dito on what they said (although they apparently look at blogs more often than I do, since I didn't know this was here)... it was a VERY scary time -- but we were so so so so so so greatful that you did NOT die, or have more 'reprocussions' from being sick than you did. Yikes.

    Good to appreciate being here =o)

    ReplyDelete